Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Dracodontinera, the protector.

Dracodontinera (2015), Teresa J. Foote.

The female of the species makes her presence known.

Second in my series of fantastical creatures is Dracodontinera. Native to the taiga forests of eastern Siberia, the largest female Dracodontinera ever seen was estimated to weigh only 35lbs and stood at about 19" tall (standing on all fours). It is believed they hunt field mice, and they are such private creatures that there are no recorded habitat findings. Spotting Dracodontinera in the wild is considered to be extremely lucky, and is said to bring you great fortune.

I have been enveloped in the strangest feeling lately. It's a feeling similar to anxiety or stress, and the only word I can use that feels the slightest bit accurate is "overwhelmed." I'm overwhelmed in both a good and a bad way.

The good: grad school applications are moving forward and both schools I've applied to want to interview me. The theatre company is busy planning this year's season and how to handle the incredible grant we've been awarded. The volunteering is full-steam-ahead as we plan the studio's annual fundraiser. The freelance is on-going, which means I'm making money. The class I was worried about taking is actually pretty enjoyable. In addition, I'm still getting asked to take photographs...

I think the bad becomes a little obvious after I've stated the good. It's too much! And nothing that I want to give up. As my uncle put it, I sound like I'm retired, except for that whole "I'm still working" thing.

Also, I have a test today. That isn't helping anything.

What I'm noticing is that my mind isn't able to quiet itself during this chaos. Even when I have done all I can for the day, my stupid brain is working overtime. It's the feeling that I have forgotten something really important, pervading everything I do. Does anyone have a better word to describe this feeling? Have I forgotten something?

I think I may have forgotten to take a vacation.

1 comment:

  1. Cognitive distortion brought on by stress? In other words, yes, you need a vacation!

    ReplyDelete