I've been listening to St. Vincent on repeat repeat repeat, lately.
I have liked Annie Clark since Actor popped up, but I didn't fall in love with her until about a week ago when I started playing her self-titled album in the car. I'll take a break and put on some Clash or Tuxedo or this amazing Wes Anderson playlist some genius put together on Spotify...but I keep coming back for more St. Vincent.
She's teaching me to use my voice with a little more artistic courage. Emphasize some of the blemishes and cracks in it until they sound good. Put the same work into a song that I would a work of art; have some faith in my words. Let things be what they are.
I've had this notebook for years – probably over a decade, now. The first several pages are filled with all kinds of ramblings and scraps from so long ago. Some person I used to be. I was tempted to tear them all out before starting to work in it again and I fought that urge in order to embrace the idea of letting things be what they are.
• • •
"Prince Johnny, you're kind but you're not simple
By now, I think I know the difference
You wanna be a son of someone..."

No comments:
Post a Comment