Monday, July 20, 2015

Sunglasses Emoticon // Shutter To Think


This week's Shutter To Think response: keeping it sexy, as instructed.

With all of this sexy-sensuality on my mind (or at least that's what Patrick says), I've been spending a lot of time pondering what it is that makes one person seemingly attractive to another. I'm a firm believer in the fact that there is a someone for everyone, but what is it that draws two people together? I don't think "sexy" and "cool" are entirely interchangeable…

I use the word "cool" to describe a lot of people, places, and things. My therapist asked me a while ago what "cool" meant to me, and I was a bit surprised to find myself unable to define the term. I was only able to give her examples of people in my life and why I think they are cool. And I noticed a common thread among the people that I put on a "cool" pedestal in my life: confidence. This is not unusual – we are drawn to confidence in others.  

I think coolness, bro, has so much to do with confidence. That may actually be how I define "cool."

Be careful, however, not to confuse "confidence" with "arrogance." That may be one of those lessons that comes with age. Acting too cool for school is actually not very cool at all – there's a puzzle for you. If someone can sit down and talk to me about what their interests are, and get excited about them, and be smart and informed about said interests, that is a draw to me. I want to be friends with that person. 

Coolness, I believe, also has a certain swagger to it. Style, posture, presence; again usually reflecting your interests. It's certainly nice when you see a stranger walking down the street and realize instantly that you probably have a lot in common with them. It can be what they are wearing, their laugh, the way that they walk, or the dog they are walking. You know it when you see it, right?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I really like people. I love meeting new people and I think that there really is something wonderful to find in every person you meet. It's very rare to meet someone that doesn't have at least a kernel of wonder about them. People are challenging. Even better: people are weird. Sometimes, the best thing about a person is how little you have in common; that's how you learn new things. 

One of my favorite things about taking pictures is capturing people, out in the wild. Trying to really see someone, even when I have not met them. There are days when I look at my camera and think, from a practicality standpoint, no, I don't want to carry that around with me today. And there is certainly something to be said for getting out from behind the lens and being present in the moment. 

However, when I just grab it and go, I never regret having my camera with me.


• • •


Shutter To Think is the weekly game I'm playing with my friend, Patrick Mooney. To see his previous entry, head over to his blog: GRAIN//Patrick Mooney Photography.




No comments:

Post a Comment