Wednesday, December 31, 2014

This was a huge deal // Shutter To Think

Aaron Lee Tasjan at The Double Door, November 12, 2014.

With the holidays and Donovan being on a stay-cation, I completely lost track of what day of the week it is. So, without further ado...here's my Shutter To Think for this week.

As you should already know, Donovan and I play in a band with four of our friends, Torch Singer. As you may not already know, Donovan also plays and makes art in another local band, Curio. For me, this means I get to stay off-stage and take pictures, which is great. Back in November, they played to a packed house at The Double Door here in Chicago with The Legendary Shack Shakers, Aaron Lee Tasjan, and Robert Rolfe Feddersen.

I really loved Aaron Lee Tasjan's performance, and ended up listening to his songs on Spotify a few times over. Which brings me to my Best Music of 2014 (new to me in 2014; not necessarily the world). 

These are 15 records I couldn't stop listening to this year, in no particular order (links for listening!):

1. Glass Animals: ZABA. Listen to: Gooey
2. Suuns: Images du Futur. Listen to: 2020
3. Chelsea Wolfe: Pain Is Beauty. Listen to: We Hit a Wall 
4. Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside: Untamed Beast. Listen to: They Told Me
5. John Grant: Pale Green Ghosts. Listen to: GMF
6. Austra: Olympia. Listen to: Forgive Me
7. Owen Pallett: In Conflict. Listen to: The Secret Seven (Live on KEXP)
8. Nick Waterhouse: Holly. Listen to: It No. 3 (Live on WFUV)
9. Sweethead: Sweethead. Listen to: P.I.G.
10. Patty Griffin: American Kid. Listen to: Ohio
11. Lydia Loveless: Somewhere Else. Listen to: Wine Lips (also watch her NPR Tiny Desk Concert)
12. St. Paul & the Broken Bones: Half the City. Listen to: Don't Mean a Thing 
13. Jason Isbell: Southeastern. Listen to: Cover Me Up (Live on Austin City Limits)
14. We Have Band: Movements. Listen to: Someone
15. Breathe Owl Breathe: Passage of Pegasus. Listen to: Wave Face


No comments:

Post a Comment