People find a lot of the things I like gross.
I think that is one of my favorite things about food, really. It's so deeply embedded in our culture – the textures you might enjoy; the flavors you find appealing.
The first time I tried Yerba Mate for instance, I thought, "Hey, this tea tastes like dirt." Then I tried it again and I thought, "Mmm! This tea tastes like dirt!" Same goes for beets, those little nuggets of sweet earthy deliciousness. Food is polarizing in the most awesome of ways.
(When it comes to dim sum, of course, my thought is it's just because they haven't tried it yet.)
- Cat People keep boxes full of sand and poop in their houses on purpose.
- Dog People follow their dogs around picking up poop and carry it around in a little baggy.
- You hate coffee, I can't function without it.
- I hate Mountain Dew, you can't survive a day without it.
- You like Taylor Swift, 1989.
- I like Ryan Adams, 1989.
- (That guy over there thinks they both are just OK. Like, he wouldn't buy the record or anything.)
I have this thing where I honestly try to like most things, just because, a while ago, I decided it was more fun to live life that way. But I still find myself in situations where I either A can't understand why someone doesn't like something (tomatoes! lap steel! Harry Potter!) or B can't understand why anyone likes a thing (bitter melon! soprano sax! Darren Aronofsky films!).
I think the most important thing is that we remember and believe and behave in a way that reflects this principle: it's OK to disagree. It makes things interesting. I have a spirit of adventure, and I'm willing to try that thing that you like and make a decision for myself. We'll still like each other no matter what the outcome is.
Wait, am I being too upbeat today? Don't worry, I'll get over it.

• • •
Shutter To Think is the weekly game I'm playing with my friend, Patrick Mooney. To see his previous entry, head over to his blog: GRAIN//Patrick Mooney Photography.

No comments:
Post a Comment