Saturday, December 31, 2016

T'S BEST OF 2016: ANNUAL PLAYLIST




Yes, I know. I am seemingly on a hiatus. Last semester of school was, without question, the hardest chunk o' school that I have ever experienced. Struggling to balance throughout all of the mess in 2016 has left me feeling strangely incomplete. I am searching. I am waking up in the middle of the night, anxious from my search. I am restless.


Losses in music broke my heart twice this year...shattered it to pieces. At the same time, music (as always) has been my escape and my respite. Hard times elicit the best in artists and I think it shows in the length of this list.

Here's my collection of 25 favorite tracks. Don't worry, in spite of the mopey introduction, there are a lot of feel-good tunes from 2016.

(scroll down for Spotify thingy)

1. David Bowie: Blackstar

(This song brings me to tears at 4:41. Every. Time.)

2. School of Seven Bells: On My Heart

More about this record: http://bit.ly/1LEaPiL

3. Shearwater: Quiet Americans

Shearwater at Schuba's was the absolute BEST live show I saw this year. Melt-into-the-floor good.

4. Bully: Milkman

"I'm just sittin' in Logan Square, spinnin' around in my underwear."

5. Total Giovanni: When We Break


6. Anderson Paak (feat. Schoolboy Q): Am I Wrong


7. Taylor Bennett (feat. Logan Parks): Smile


8. Dilly Dally: Witch Man


9. Yoko Ono (feat. Portugal. The Man): Soul Got Out of the Box


10. Eliza Shaddad: Run


11. Coultrain: Side Effex of Make-Believe


12. Dead Skeletons: Kingdom of God


13. Kilo Kish: Distractions I - The Opposite Sex


14. Chance the Rapper: Blessings


15. D.R.A.M.

(my favorite VIDEO this year...D.R.A.M. makes me so happy!)

16. Boxed In (feat. CockNBull Kid): Lo Life


17. Ruby the Hatchet: Vast Acid


18. Wye Oak: If You Should See

Runner up for favorite live show of the year at Thalia Hall.

19. Honne (feat. Jones): No Place Life Home


20. Ari Lennox: Night Drive

HERBIE HANCOCK ON MY RA-DI-O

21. Sylvan Esso: Kick Jump Twist

(99% certain that this is my favorite song on this year's list!)

22. Agnes Obel: Familiar


23. Eryn Allen Kane: Slipping

(are you in love yet?)

24. Tribe Called Quest: Movin' Backwards
They have this record locked down, so just go listen to the whole thing when you have a minute.

25. Bruno Mars: 24k

I just felt like ending with a bang. My roommate called it: I seriously love this song. So many synths, so much retro...I don't even care what it is about. I am singing.

POST-EDIT 26. Andrew Bird: Truth Lies Low

I got in my car after posting and this was in the cd player. It has been in my cd player almost all year. This Andrew Bird record struck a chord with me more than any preceding album of his...this song in particular, but I really love the whole thing. There's even a charming special appearance by Fiona Apple. Love.

For all you Spotify users, here's a thingy for the public playlist:




With a bittersweet tear, bye 2016. Peace.